Surya Namaskar

Surya Namaskar

Postby himanshu » Sat Jan 05, 2008 12:18 am

1. What is the right time to do Surya Namaskar?
2. Can it also be done in the evening if I couldn't do it in the morning?
3. Is there any Mantras or Chants to be recited with Surya Namaskar?
himanshu

Re: Surya Namaskar

Postby bajrang » Sat Jan 26, 2008 10:04 pm

Surya Namaskar means to worship the Sun Goddess, so it is to be done facing east direction. Surya Namaskr is for healthiness and fitness. Every one should perform minimum 13 Surya Namaskar daily!

1. It is best to do Surya Namaskar early in the morning.
2. Yes you can. But be sure that you give at least 2 to 3 hours gap after lunch (food), i.e., just don't do immediately after having food.
3. You can start with the mantra "Aum Mitraya Namah".

Surya Namaskar - Step by Step

surya-namaskar.gif
Surya Namaskar Sequence
surya-namaskar.gif (4.95 KiB) Viewed 6333 times

For more details go to http://www.astrojyoti.com/suryanamaskar.htm
Jai Guru Dev!
bajrang
Site Admin

Postby himanshu » Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:47 pm

Thank you for all the information. Surya Namaskar video was very helpful for understanding the breathing techniques while doing it. But it was some what confusing for me in steps. The Surya Namaskar sequence shown in video is somewhat different to the sequence shown in the picture.

surya-namaskar.gif
surya-namaskar.gif (4.95 KiB) Viewed 6160 times

Starting from the left side of the image. The 5th step was different in the video when comparing with this picture. And the second last step was not there in video. Which sequence is actually correct and what should I follow for maximum perfection?

Help will be appreciated.
himanshu

Postby bajrang » Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:30 pm

It is little bit different but you can do any of them which is in video or shown in the picture.
In the fifth step shown in picture, you can do Dwi-pada Prasarnasan instead of Bhudharasan.
Dwi-pada Prasarnasan is very simple. Instead of raising the buttock you have to keep your body flat.

You can add the second last part shown in the picture but not in video to do Surya Namaskar to perfection..
bajrang
Site Admin

Return to General Discussion on Yoga & Meditation